General Rules for Packing
- Pack up one room at a time.
- Give away or donate to a charity any clothes, furniture or other items that
you no longer use or need.
- Start packing well in advance and start with items you use the least.
- Try to use same size boxes for ease of stacking and space maximization.
- Stack items in boxes in layers, heaviest on
the bottom then medium and lightest on top.
- Place small boxes in larger boxes.
- Fill boxes completely, stuff open spaces with crushed paper to avoid any collapsing.
- Donít pack boxes
so heavily that they are hard to lift (maximum 35-40lbs).
- Seal and secure all boxes with packing tape to avoid unexpected openings.
- Mark boxes on several sides indicating the contents and in which room they
- When possible, use specialty boxes for specific items.
For example, use wardrobe boxes for hanging garments.
Furniture and Appliances
- Secure all moving parts on appliances and store in original container if possible.
- Utilize inside of appliances and drawers for storage space for small items and clothing.
- Disassemble furniture as much as possible and place hardware in bags and tape to furniture for easy reassembly.
- Wrap furniture in blankets or sheets to protect from scratches while in storage.
- Use appropriate storage covers for sofas, chairs, mattresses, etc.
- For larger appliances check with dealers for any special moving instructions.
- Pack in original cartons whenever possible.
- Pack components separately in amply cushioned boxes.
- Label cables and tighten transit screws.
- If removing small items place them in an envelope and tape them to the appropriate component.
- Place FRAGILE sticker on several sides of each box.
- Wrap items individually in clean newsprint or foam pouches, standard newspaper can smudge or
stain your items.
- Check all wrapped items for exposed rims, edges or sharp points and rewrap if necessary.
- Bundle 4
or 5 individually wrapped items in more paper for added protection.
- Stack dishes on their sides and glasses rim down.
- Put a 3
or 4 inch layer of cushioning in the bottom of each box to protect items.
- Fill boxes completely
and stuff open spaces with crushed paper to avoid any collapsing.
- Place FRAGILE stickers on several sides of each box
that requires them.